29 June 2012

Building and playing the Bullroarer

I'm interested in both electronic-generated music using modern technologies, and in primitive musical instruments that exploit the very basic laws of acoustics. I try to make them converge in my practice as a musician as well as in my instruments-making.
Recently I've read on a book that the Bullroarer is one of the oldest instruments used by humans to produce sounds.






We decided to make one and this is the result.
Sergio cut the fish-shaped thing from chipboard wood and shaped its edges to an airfoil.









Barbara decorated the surface with patterns inspired by aboriginal artworks.

Il looks great and makes a nice roaring sound.


To make it play great, you have to find the optimal rope lenght and thikness, by trial and error.






A small, portable drone generator that requires no batteries!


 Make it turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whitefrost A modulable analog White Noise generator for electronic music. Why have I designed this instrument? Well I felt the need ...

Listen to my tracks...